[aprssig] questions about the Bulletin Screen "billboard" concept

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 23:58:41 EST 2011

Hi, John.

Glad to get your contact info. I'm not sure if I can find the notepad I was scribbling on at the DCC, so I'm glad to have another copy of your contact info.

If you want some geographically redundant places to deploy your AVRS server, I'd be happy to host a copy. I already have a business-grade FiOS Internet line with spare static IP's into my place, and have been hosting low-budget websites here for about 5 years (Fedora Core Linux, Postgresql, and Tomcat for the current deployments, but Apache and PHP available). Just bought replacement batteries for all the old UPS's; ouch! :-)  I'm reasonably happy that my service hasn't gone down even with Hurricane Irene and the latest nor'easter (OK, the lines were knocked down during the nor'easter, but service kept running through them on the ground, and I did have an 8-hour power outage after Irene, but the batteries kept it up through most of that).

Regarding licensing, I've been considering the Lesser GPL (LGPL) for my own stuff; third-party libraries I'm using would of course have to remain under their own licenses. But I need to read over all those licenses before I commit to anything; I need to know if I have to rip out any of the third-party libraries and replace them to keep the combined licenses reasonable and compatible. For example, I'm currently using the old Sun JavaHelp 2.0 library because I don't like the license for Oracle Help for Java (OHJ), but I don't know if Oracle is planning on retroactively changing the JavaHelp binary library license (or if they already have) to make it more restrictive and/or costly.

Andrew Pavlin KA2DDO