[aprssig] AUTO-ANSWER SPEC [AA]

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 2 17:32:38 EDT 2011

> I just sent a message to a D7. I received...
> an "auto answer"...  no [AA].

Wow, After 13 years how could I have missed that!  Amazing.  Just shows how
much I HATE these WORTHLESS [AA] messages!!!!!!!!

> I still think that "auto answers" are of limited value,
> unless they convey useful information.

I'd amplify that as to say "useful immediate-timely" information.

And I will insist that the AUTO-ANSWER message is CANCELED as soon as the
radio (or client) detects the presence of the Operator.  That too was part
of the ORIGINAL basis of auto-anwer messages, that they CANCEL automatically
as soon as the operator returns.

That keeps them TIMELY, RELEVANT and IMMEDIATE. And keeps them off the air
in spite of the forgetful operator.  I'll email Kenwood immediately.

Bob, WB4APR