[aprssig] Auto-Answer meets Auto-Responder (AVRS)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Nov 2 11:51:11 EDT 2011

On 11/2/2011 11:19 AM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Do radios like the D7, D72, D700, D710, VX8, 350 have any "auto
> reply" capability, and if they do, do they send any kind of a tag that
> would indicate that it was an auto reply?

Yes, they have the capability, but I don't believe they put any standard
prefix on it.  It transmits whatever the user set the response text to.
Makes it rather difficult to KNOW that it's an auto-reply.

See http://aprs.fi/?c=message&limit=&call=5B4AIR-9 and
http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=5B4SN-9  I believe the "driving right
now" messages are auto-answers as I couldn't see someone keying that
long of a message in while actually driving!

> Same question for APRS
> clients other than UI-View which pre-pends the response with [AA].

My own APRSISCE/32 prefixes all auto-replies with "AA:" (without the
quotes, but with the colon).

> This would be a good time to speak up.

Up-spoken.