[aprssig] Auto-Answer meets Auto-Responder (AVRS)

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:51:27 EDT 2011

>> Any chance the operator of AVRS could make modifications to account
>> for APRS clients or radios that send an auto reply / answer to prevent
>> such loops? Perhaps it so far only looks for ":ackxx" coming back.
>
> How do you propose that an auto-answer server "know" that it's an
> auto-answer and not a badly formed request?

A server can and should have some rudimentary smarts.   A combination
of recognizing bad requests and recognizing that there are too many
bad requests from one station and ignoring it after the first couple.

You want a real fun packet storm, turn on the wild-node function on a
Kantronics node and have another station try to auto-forward to it.
Or something like that.   We tied up one of the Colorado front range
packet channels like that for a couple hours once many years ago...

Bill