[aprssig] Shack backup power

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue May 31 20:48:02 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even more APRS relevant - I assume everybody on here has a full time
> low current emergency powered off-grid APRS station ready for when the
> next time Godzilla attacks?   APRS is, after all, the ultimate home
> emergency communications system....

Amen.  We (north AL) were hit by several tornados a few weeks ago.  In
less than 12 hours from the time the lights went out, the only
outbound comm capability I had left was ham radio. Even the land line
was out (yes, I had a POTS powered phone, not a cordless).  Cell
phones and land lines were out or degraded for several days in the
Huntsville area.

I'm looking hard at emergency power solutions (as are lots of folks
around here), but for the shack I'm wondering if solar and batteries
aren't the way to go. That may be a way to ease into solar power at
home.

-Jason
kg4wsv