[aprssig] CFL Bulbs and Shack backup power ;-)

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:00:19 EDT 2011

> All this fuss over having to replace a failed $1 bulb that will save $48 in energy?

Cycling on and off is the worst thing that can be done to these bulbs.
 It would be fascinating to see the calculations deriving the sweet
spot where turning off the bulb saves more than it adds to the
replacement cost of the on-off cycling.

Our restroons at work have CFL bulbs on a motion sensor.   I hope (but
doubt) they're keeping records of replacement rates and tune the
timing accordingly.

It may make sense, at times, to just leave the bulbs on.

I wonder how many bulbs we could light with with packets destroyed by
APRS transmitters without receivers?   (I had to bring this back to
APRS somehow?)

Even more APRS relevant - I assume everybody on here has a full time
low current emergency powered off-grid APRS station ready for when the
next time Godzilla attacks?   APRS is, after all, the ultimate home
emergency communications system....

Bill - WA7NWP