[aprssig] CFL Bulbs and Shack backup power ;-)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon May 30 14:47:38 EDT 2011

I've been using CFLs for probably twenty years now, I started back when
the local utility was actually giving away incandescents, and I had to pay
close to $20 for the CFLs.  By the time those first ones failed, the
market had moved to the integrated spiral style, and the replacement 'U'
style bulbs for my expensive ballasts were no longer available.  I'm not
complaining, because they paid for themselves many times over.

   The cost savings disappears fairly quickly, however, if you implement
them in inappropriate situations.  The life of the bulb is limited more by
number of on-off cycles than hours burned, so you don't get the return on
investment if you use them in closets with automatic door-operated
switches. Be also wary of infrared motion sensors. With the early
first-generation bulbs, the rule of thumb was a three hour typical burn.
Any less, and it'll fail before its 'paid for'.  That number has probably
shifted with better technology and lower investment cost, so YMMV.

Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009