[aprssig] Wholehouse Surge protection?

KBØNLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Tue May 31 01:37:50 EDT 2011

Its not really a metal tube... It’s the thickness of two metal nuts and the
panel side.  Either way you have to install a connector into the knockout
and pass the wiring through the side of the panel, going PVC conduit
connectors you still have nearly the same amount of metal.  We aren't
talking a half foot of conduit or anything, just box to box with a couple
nuts on the metal coupler on the box.

But that’s a moot point now as they changed to plastic enclosures, though
they have a plastic nipple that goes into the box knockout and is fastened
by a metal nut.  So almost the same amount of metal for the wiring to pass
through.

The main thing here though is follow electrical code.  Looking at the code
here if I were to take a device like this and isolate it but then also
ground it I wouldn't be up to code, it says all extensions or devices wired
directly to the panel must be directly grounded to the panel.  Even my
doorbell transformer is mounted in a knockout hole.

73,

Scott KBØNLY