[aprssig] Wholehouse Surge protection?

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Tue May 31 00:36:21 EDT 2011

Ensure that you connect the surge panel to the
breaker box wit PVC or similar non metallic conduit.
Metallic conduit will act as a choke preventing
the surge from getting into the surge suppressor.
Most surges will be lightning induced and lightning is a high frequency event.
All grounds should be as short as possible,
number 6 or larger inside the building.
Do NOT use braid for a lightning ground as the
high frequency event does not like the bends back
ad forth that make up the braid.

In a previous life, I inspected tower sites for lighting mitigation.

When properly installed, a whole house surge suppressor is very effective.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV