[aprssig] Wholehouse Surge protection?

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Mon May 30 23:44:28 EDT 2011

I had some really bad voltage spikes one year when a high voltage line fell
on top of a low voltage line after a car hit the power pole.  Well that
surge turned my microwave oven to toast.  It burned up the display and I
lost all confidence in it so replaced it.  The local PUD (Public Utility
District) said I could fill out a claim and they might pay for the damages.
Looked at the forms and decided it was not worth the hassle.....

I asked the local PUD if they had any recommendations for a whole house
surge protector and at that time (about 10 years ago) they said they had not
found one that was reliable enough to recommend.  I then went to the local
Lowes store and they had a Cutler Hammer Model CHSP MAX surge protector
which is rated for up to 50,000 Amps/phase.  From what I remember it cost me
under $50 and I installed it myself in the main panel.  So far I have not
had any more appliance damage from voltage surges.  Yes, I still use the
small surge protector strips to protect my computers and ham radios....

It is available from at:
me=&seller=  for $80 now days.....  Just search for CHSP MAX and you will
get lots of hits....

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: aprssig-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
> Bob Bruninga
> Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 7:39 PM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: [aprssig] Wholehouse Surge protection?
> Time for a new topic...
> With lots of (APRS on topic) electronics at home, I wonder about putting
in a
> whole-house surge protector.  ANyone with experience there?

More information about the aprssig mailing list