[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Mon May 30 22:18:31 EDT 2011

All:

I, too have suffered the premature failures.  So many, that on top of
the onerous mercury disposal rules, I'm over CFLs -- bought a lifetime
supply of incandescents while I could, and slowly converting to LEDs
Adding insult to injury, the CFLs are very RF noisy -- so noisy, that my
X-10 remote controls can turn one on, but never off, not matter how much
filtering I put in upstream of the noise generator.

/IEEE Spectrum/ recently ran an article about a teardown, which explains
why the CFL's fail prematurely -- to keep manufacturing costs down in
China, the electronics in the base are hand soldered (badly, to be kind,
the pictured solder joints were terrible!).  So, when the get hot,
solder joint fails . . . and another few grams of mercury head to the
land fill, err. recycling stream.

Also confirmed in a separate IEE article what I had long suspected --
LEDs are expensive because of the thermal managment issues -- 15 watts
dissipated over a few square cm is a LOT of BTU/hr-ft-squared!  Still,
volume /appriaching/ the point where prices will drop, then like all
things semiconductor, the price drop will be precipitous.  Until then,
incandescents here we come . . ..

/Spectrum/ tends to shill for all things "green", so I'm a bit skeptical
of their predictions. /Still/, their data and my own experience suggests
that the LED price /will /come down, only question is how soon and how fast.

Good luck to all,
73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org