[aprssig] CFL Bulbs and Shack backup power ;-)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 30 15:05:11 EDT 2011

On 5/30/2011 11:54 AM, Bob wrote:
> I resent - TO THE CORE _ RESENT anyone telling me that:
> You must use the "curlly fries light", THEY DO NOT WORK IN MANY OF MY USES
> (X-10 switches/dimmer).

CFLs work perfectly well with X10 screw-in "Socket Rockets" and appliance
modules.   The headache is with wired-in X-10 wall-switch dimmers.   The only
way here is to replace the dimmer with a normal dumb mechanical wall switch,
leave it on all the time,  and use Socket Rockets at the bulbs.

> What happens when some EPA clown decides that you cannot throw them away.
You can turn them in at any Home Depot or Best Buy, and a lot of other places.

> You must use low-flush toilets, the Ohio River Valley does not have a water
> shortage, but I am prevented BY LAW from buying a toilet that works first
> time/every time.

The Sloan Flushmate air-pressurized assisted-flush system works BETTER than any
conventional toilet and uses only 1.6 gals/flush.  (You do, however, get an
explosively loud noise like a cruise-ship toilet on each flush.)

> Same goes for the push to battery cars. IF they ever get a GMC Suburban to
> work on battery and not cost extra, then I might rethink that.
>
> ok, so much for my soap box moment.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net