[aprssig] APRN news from Dayton!

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed May 25 13:10:51 EDT 2011

On 5/25/2011 11:41 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> On 5/25/2011 9:37 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> On 5/25/2011 9:35 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>>> Too bad the FCC prohibits tones (the SSTV) longer than 10 seconds on FRS...
>>
>> So send it in fragments?
>

> Since the normal SSTV transmission is 30-90 seconds of AFSK tones, that would
> make for a rather lengthy period of stuttering hiccuping audio bursts....

I understand this.  At highway speeds, that's a mile and 1/2 of travel, at
least, which I think is gonna make it hard to use FRS power levels any way.

This is why Apple and Google use "speed averages", extracted from their mobile
phone devices, to show traffic problems. It is a much lower bandwidth and easier
to manage indicator of "traffic load".  A picture is only worth a thousand
words, if you have it.  If you can say 1,000 words before you get the picture,
then the picture is already dated information when you get it.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW