[aprssig] APRN news from Dayton!

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed May 25 04:23:05 EDT 2011

Scott N1VG wrote...

> The SSTVCAM has a 640x480 camera, and in the future I might experiment
> with some higher resolution modes.  But yeah, it's not going to match a
> cell phone or PC.  It's intended to fill specific niches like high
> altitude balloons.  It weighs an ounce or so, draws a few mA when it's
> idle and maybe 30 mA average while transmitting, and works great for
> one-to-many transmissions where you don't have an opportunity for retries.

Not perhaps for SSTV, but the HD 808 "keychain cameras" which is being
used on RC planes could be useful on balloons as long as the payload is
retrieved. If it wasn't found, at least the HD camera wouldn't be a big loss.
Look on eBay for the H.264 #11 camera with 1280 x 720 resolution and skip
the older non-HD ones that get relatively poor reviews. At about $40 and
weighing only 15 grams, it wouldn't add a lot of extra weight. The 250 mAh
battery is good for about 40 minutes, at least at room temperatures.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj26JjSiazQ
www.techmoan.com
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=808+keychain+camera+H.264+720p

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH