[aprssig] APRS on Smart Devices [WAS: APRN news from Dayton!]

Julian, G4ILO julian.g4ilo at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:37:06 EDT 2011

I understand and agree with you Gregg but as a user of Lynn KJ4ERJ's
APRSISCE in Windows Mobile and also an owner of several APRS RF
devices I find myself in something of a dilemma. Do I use APRS over
cellular and get all these improved features or do I stick true to the
spirit of the hobby, use the radio and accept the limitations of the
radio devices and the bandwidth? APRS over cellular is as much ham
radio as Echolink on a computer (or cellphone) and I think many of us
would be quite scathing of someone who claimed he made a ham radio
contact because he called someone up on Echolink.

If we go for the smartphone option because "it's better" aren't we
sending a message to the powers that be that hams don't need dedicated
spectrum any more, that we could all use the internet and free up all
that spectrum space? That would certainly suit the UK regulatory body
Ofcom which is refusing to take action over PLT interference
essentially because it believes radio hams are just a small bunch of
hobbyists whose use of the radio spectrum is of no importance.

Julian, G4ILO