[aprssig] Solar, then vs now

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 23 23:47:11 EDT 2011

On 5/23/2011 8:11 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

>> [re snow] there's no way I'm cleaning off
>> any solar panels on a daily basis.  :-)
> If that is a concern, then ignore it.  Tilt your panels back to maximize spring/Fall/and Summer sun and the increase in power produced then will more than offset any loss of sun in the winter for a few days of snow on the panels.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

How about a remote-control "snow-shaker-offer"?   I could envision some sort of
setup with the panels mounted to hinges on their lower edges while the
upper-edge is attached to spring-loaded telescoping poles (perhaps made from
nested diameters of conduits or PVC pipe).   A small low-power 12-VDC gear
motor (surplus power window regulator or satellite dish positioner?) could
slowly compress the spring to make the panels lean back,  and then abuptly
release to let the panels snap forward again,  flinging off the snow.  As a
bonus, the same device could also adjust the optimum tilt for summer, winter or
anywhere in-between.

Or maybe you only need to be able to tilt the panels to a full vertical
position to dump the snow, and then slowly crank them back to the proper tilt
without any violent snapping action.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net