[aprssig] Solar Payback

KBØNLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Mon May 23 12:51:09 EDT 2011

According to that website I would generate about $100 per year at my current
energy cost, so I would only save $100 off my years worth of power
consumption.  Or in other words my bill goes from $130 a month times 12
months equals $1560 down to $1460...  Not much...

I would have to install at LEAST 10kW in solar to make it worth my while
according to that PV solar website.  Then I could save just a smidge over
$1000 a year on power.  However, the 10kW install would run about $20,000.00
installed.  OUCH.. Which again means it takes about 20 years for it to pay
for itself.

Right now the cost of solar is too high, it’s a good idea, and I would love
to be self sufficient, but until the cost comes down to an attainable amount
for the masses its merely a dream at best.  The average cost of solar is
around $2 per Watt for a self installed grid tie system, if you have it
professionally installed your talking the area of $5-$6 per Watt.  One local
business installed 20kW of solar, costing them about $50,000 for the
install.  Of course tax rebates help, but their end bill was still about
$35,000 for the installation.  At that rate it will still take them about 15
years to see a return on their investment.

I found I can install a kW and get a refund of about $500 on my taxes, not
great but better than nothing, however in the end it still takes me about 15
years to see a return also.  Eventually this may turn around, if energy
costs go up the solar becomes more economical, however for me at $.07 per
kWh its not that cost effective yet.  I live amongst a few hundred or more
wind generators here in SW MN, we are becoming the wind capital of the
midwest.

Ok, enough on the solar, back on topic, we now return you to your regularly
scheduled programming...

73,

Scott KBØNLY