[aprssig] APRS-Alert is live

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Tue May 17 22:58:45 EDT 2011

Just in time for the road trips to Dayton, I'm pleased to annouce the
activation of APRS-Alert.
APRS-Alert (formerly named Wedjat, renamed by popular demand of the APRS
community) is a APRS->SMS notification gateway that allows users to register
callsigns of interest, set up zones of interest, and create triggers which
send them SMS messages or emails when the monitored stations trigger a rule.

For example, my good friend Jerry, W5TDY is travelling to Dayton.  I'm curious
about when he gets there, but I don't want to have to sit in front of my APRS
client and watch his slow progress from Georgia to Ohio.
Using APRS-Alert, I tag Jerry's D710 as a monitored station (W5TDY-9), enter
my cell phone number @tmomail.net as a notification address, and use the froody
Google Maps interface to draw a 1000 meter-radius zone around the boneyard at
Dayton.  On the RULES tab, I create an INCURSION rule for W5TDY-9 into the
BONEYARD zone I just created, and then create a notification valid between 8 am
and 10 pm (no point in getting woke up by my cell phone) for Jerry's incursion
into the boneyard.

Yeah, that sounds a little complicated, but after one or two, the process
becomes smooth like burlap.

Anyway, give it a try if you're interested.  Like any good website, the code
is under active development and I'm always looking for new ideas.
Unfortunately, there are probably bugs in there too.  Find those and point
them out (constructively), and I'll put you on the wall of fame page as a bug-
finder.

I'd like to thank Wes Johnston, AI4PX for his bug hunting, as well Steve Hanis
and Tom McGrath for being early beta testers.

The site is http://www.aprs-alert.net

John Gorkos
AB0OO