[aprssig] Anyone in Las Vegas - LightSquared Test To Begin Monday

Mike Miller mike.kc9doa at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 16 12:49:52 EDT 2011

You got to love it! What happens to the enhanced 911 system that
was forced on us that allows the dispatcher to pinpoint the 911
callers location from the cellphone GPS? Something like 30% of
the population doesn't have landline phones anymore! What
happens to all the offenders released with GPS trackers? It is
more than a few hams with APRS that will be inconvenienced.

<http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/may/14/testing-new-wireless-network-could-cause-gps-outag/>

"GPS is really nice, but we´ve got a backup," said Las Vegas
Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski. "We might be a little bit
inconvenienced, but we´re not going to lose anything on the
call."

Fire trucks and police cars are hooked with GPS units to help
officers respond to distress calls, but it´s really just an
added level of insurance that´s mostly for convenience,
officials said.

"All of our officers know how to read a map," said Metro Police
spokesman Bill Cassell. "They know how to look up an address,
find that address on a map, and then drive to it ... and we even
still know how to triangulate off of mountaintops and give
aircraft cardinal bearings to help land search-and-rescue
mission flights."

Mike kc9doa