[aprssig] APRS messaging

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Thu May 12 17:58:16 EDT 2011

Guido Trentalancia writes:

> In my opinion hams do not have aversion to APRS text messaging but
> instead they have complete aversion to entering text on APRS radios
> currently available in the marketplace. Consider most people use APRS on
> the move...
>
> So, I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with the protocol itself. We
> could extend it one day to support longer messages, exactly as it
> happened for GSM SMS but this is not urgent or strictly necessary.
>
> The point is that, where technically feasible, vendors should really
> come up with an accessory which provides a small detachable keyboard to
> enter APRS text messages easily and conveniently. But this has nothing
> to do with the APRS protocol.

Guido, I agree with you 100%

I have been with the GSM networks since their birth, and APRS radios
still use the same awkward UI for messaging we used to have back in
the early 90's.

Nothing to do with the protocol, though. It usually tends to deliver
although it is awkward and ineffective, too.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!