[aprssig] How to do a HIKING APRS event!

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:47:38 EDT 2011

Two years ago, the APRS operation for this event consisted of one
hiker, myself, and two fixed stations, one I set up at the finish line
and one other APRS able ham who setup where I started at the mid
point.  This year (biannual event) there were 13 APRS enabled
stations.  All with different levels of APRS experience and
capabilities.

One thing we could have done better is keeping the drop list bulletin
board up to date.  The drop list is a list of hikers that have dropped
out of the event so we didn't have to go looking for them all the
time.

The 144.99 digipeaters really seemed to help, while hiking, I knew a
lot more of my packets were being digipeated just by the beeps.

My messages were a little less interesting, the sweep hike position
generally only got to see one participant.

I think the best result was that many area hams with APRS equipment
were able to put it to good use.  So many spend the extra money on a
radio and do little with it but basic tracking, if that, so having the
chance to do more than the bare minimum with their rigs, was welcome
experience.

I'm already thinking about the next event in 2013.

73 de Joseph M. Durnal NE3R