[aprssig] aprs wiki

ka7o at ka7o.net ka7o at ka7o.net
Tue May 10 15:43:53 EDT 2011

Scott,

I've had the same issue with the local club and state wikis that I host
here. I've had to go so far as to essentially 'disable' user account
creation. Now, a new user has to 'request' a new account. It's a pretty
easy mod. It forces new accounts to type up something about themselves (a
bio). Not too hard to weed out the 'bots' and farmers. Been running this
way for about 6 months and so far ::knock on wood:: so good. New folks get
added in and the vandals stay outside the gates.

Here it is - with docs, etc:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

It does add to the admin overhead - some. But it also eliminates a ton of
edits and roll-backs.

73
Tate
casperarc.net