[aprssig] recommendations for 9600 TNC

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:59:43 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 08:07, ml41782 <ml41782 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at my options for expanding APRS using 9600 baud in my area. I
> have been testing with 9600 on UHF for some time now with fair to good
> success. I actually prefer UHF. I'm getting ready to test this now on the
> VHF side. I have the VHF radios  what I'm looking for is a cheaper way to do
> the TNC other than a KPC 9612.

In the Pacific Northwest we've been using Kenwood TM-D710s with their
internal TNC, some with the built-in digipeater and some with aprx. We
take advantage of both receivers, putting an external 1200 baud TNC on
the second receiver. This gives a lot of bang for the buck. Two
digipeaters for ~$600 in radios and TNCs.

See:
http://aprs.fi/?call=baldi
http://aprs.fi/?call=vbaldi
http://aprs.fi/?call=pack
http://aprs.fi/?call=somtn
http://aprs.fi/?call=vsomtn
http://aprs.fi/?call=xtal
http://aprs.fi/?call=crystl

I'm also looking forward to something from Argent or Byonics that is
capable of 9600 baud.

Tom KD7LXL