[aprssig] Use of XXX devices for APRS

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:14:53 EDT 2011

My somewhat tongue in cheek proposal for this..   It would be a good
(IMHO) option but everything considered, probably would never happen.

>  The growth of the mobile
> device marketplace and available APRS software authoring will allow a lot
> more participation on the network, if we can figure out how to manage
> traffic flow from these devices to RF when it is from licensed users.

Eliminate them.  Use the APRS-IS ONLY as a backbone for Amateur Radio
RF generated traffic.

> example put a small computing device with a wifi->serial path (WiSnap for
> example) in front of a TNC-Radio "unit" and have a path to RF.

That is the other half of the solution.  Any and all devices should
talk first RF, even if it's an internet linked TNC and radio, and then
be gated to the APRS-IS.

> Gregg Wonderly
> W5GGW

Bill - WA7NWP