[aprssig] Use of XXX devices for APRS

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue May 3 13:25:03 EDT 2011

Alternate frequency discussion here reminded me of a discussion I wanted to have
about how we might proceed with allowing alternate emissions, modes, spectrum,
non-amateur spectrum devices participate in the network.  One of the things that
is predominately on my mind is the fact that 144.390mhz at 1200baud just can't
handle infinite traffic.  The growth of the mobile device marketplace and
available APRS software authoring will allow a lot more participation on the
network, if we can figure out how to manage traffic flow from these devices to
RF when it is from licensed users.

Authenticating the source of the traffic always pops to the top of the list of
things that we need to manage.  I have software and devices that can use APRS-IS
just fine, but I can't have a conversation or be visible to RF only users
without outbound i-Gate traffic.  I can of course talk about this with a local
i-Gate owner, or setup my own i-Gate to do this locally.  But, when I am away
from my home area, I will have issues getting to RF.

So, I'm wondering what others have been thinking about this.  I can, for example
put a small computing device with a wifi->serial path (WiSnap for example) in
front of a TNC-Radio "unit" and have a path to RF.  But, what else can we do to
help manage the convenience of using various devices in concert with getting
APRS to work as it should on the RF side?

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW