[aprssig] aprs.fi and the ISS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Mar 26 14:10:34 EDT 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Andrew Rich wrote:

> I am sending an object for the international space station.
>
> aprs.fi is rejecting it because it is > 500 km/h

Correct, aprs.fi is intentionally filtering out all satellite objects. A
bunch of different people are, at times, transmitting these, sometimes
duplicates for the same satellites. It doesn't make sense to store this
data on aprs.fi, as there are more useful sites and software for satellite
tracking. They can display future positions, too, and visibility plots.

Besides, the positions of satellites are predictable using the kepler
elements, so it doesn't make much sense to use a lot of bandwidth or disk
space to store the actual calculated coordinates.

   - Hessu