[aprssig] Fwd: APRS Volunteers Needed for Hike Across Maryland

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:00:41 EDT 2011

Where: Appalachian Trail, Maryland Section
Event: Mountain Club of Maryland's Hike Across Maryland
When: Saturday, May 7, 2011 0500 - 2100

Since probably before I was born, local amateur radio operators have
provided communications for the Mountain Club of Maryland's biannual
Hike Across Maryland event.  The event is a one day hike covering the
40 mile section of the Appalachian Trail from the MD/PA line to the
MD/WV line.  Two years ago, we introduced APRS, covering the second
half of the trek.  We had two APRS fixed stations with computers, a
portable APRS operator (me) hiking with the event's designated sweep
hikers at the end of the line, & 1 mobile digi.

My perfect vision for this event would be two to three fixed stations
with map displays and messaging capability and 4 portable APRS hikers
to team up with the mountain club's sweep hikers (they break them up
into 10 mile sections).  And maybe, a mobile APRS digi or two in
strategic positions along the route.  This is quite an APRS challenge,
we did a fairly decent job two years ago with 4 APRS operators
covering half the hike, but I'd love to see coverage for the entire
event.

If you are interested, please let me know.  I'd also love to hear from
anyone who has done anything like this before and get some ideas.

Thanks,
Joseph M. Durnal NE3R