[aprssig] aprs.fi embedded and IE9

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:57:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Arnie Shore <shoreas at gmail.com> wrote:

> MS didn't get to their position in the marketplace by being dumb.  They
> offer development tools that really sound and look good - Silverlight is an
> example - and it takes a pretty determined outlook by the
> developers/managers to avoid their use in the interests of openness.

For me, 50% of my computers at home run Windows, 50% run Linux.  I like to
use both - both have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Use of proprietary
formats like Silverlight just means that 50% of my computers won't work.  I
can live with it, but I don't have to like it, especially when I can stream
video from Youtube and other sites just fine from all of them.

> It's not new.  Way back when, IBM did that kind of thing in their
> proprietary extensions to standard COBOL, and few of us understood or even
> cared.

I don't see that as a reason not to care about browser compatibility today.

> IMO: Live with it.  AS

I think everyone for the most part is living with it, but it goes both
ways.  When an upgrade like IE9 doesn't work on sites like aprs.fi, users of
aprs.fi can still use Firefox - so folks need to live with that as well.

Lee - K5DAT