[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Thu Mar 24 08:20:45 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 05:03 +0000, jjesson at voyager.net wrote:
> Here is another good reason to own a geiger counter and not sure what happened since 2008:
>
> http://dwarmstr.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-york-wants-to-ban-geiger-counters.html

Yes, panic is the only side-effect of having such a monitoring network.
But panic has never killed anyone, panic is something which usually can
only saves lives.

If the driver in front of you suddenly brakes, you get panic and you
also brake suddenly and perhaps an accident is prevented. Without panic,
perhaps that situation would result in an accident.

Or at least this is my opinion...

In case of an anomalous situation it is always better to cross-check
with authorities (or at least with other sources). In any case, where
possible a disclaimer should be printed out (e.g. station's website,
perhaps APRS comment field and so on).

I suppose it's a very similar situation to CWOP/NWS. There isn't a paid
staff behind CWOP and everything is done as a best effort. But this
doesn't necessarily mean that CWOP could not turn out to be useful.

73,

Guido IZ6RDB