[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

jjesson at voyager.net jjesson at voyager.net
Wed Mar 23 18:13:37 EDT 2011

The cheapest Geiger counter is a simple neon lamp biased just below the
gas breakdown threshold so any applied radiation with ionize the
gas.

73, Joe Jesson, KC2VGL

> Of course,
every geiger counter kit is now sold out.

> But is
there a cheap alternative?

> All we need is a large set
of parallel plates and a means to detect a
> passing particle
causing a momentary change in conduction.  Crazy thought
> here,
but would a large capacitor work?  It has the large surface area and
> ionizing radiation would surely cause a momentary pulse..
>

> OH.. shucks.  But then what you have is the other 99.9999999%
of the
> parallel plates acting like a HUGE filter capacitor
ACROSS the output...
> thus completely swamping the pulse.
Sheesh... nevermind.

> The Geiger tube has very low
capacitance.  Hence very easy to detect.

> Maybe just
for grins one could try the physically largest (High voltage)

and