[aprssig] APRS Radiation sensor

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:52:59 EDT 2011

Of course, every geiger counter kit is now sold out.

But is there a cheap alternative?

All we need is a large set of parallel plates and a means to detect a
passing particle causing a momentary change in conduction.  Crazy thought
here, but would a large capacitor work?  It has the large surface area and
ionizing radiation would surely cause a momentary pulse..

OH.. shucks.  But then what you have is the other 99.9999999% of the
parallel plates acting like a HUGE filter capacitor ACROSS the output...
thus completely swamping the pulse.  Sheesh... nevermind.

The Geiger tube has very low capacitance.  Hence very easy to detect.

Maybe just for grins one could try the physically largest (High voltage) and
lowest value capacitor they have in their junkbox, biased, and hooked to a
high gain audio amp?
Bob, Wb4APR