[aprssig] aprs.fi embedded and IE9

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Mar 22 19:25:02 EDT 2011

IE9 uses a completely different JavaScript engine than previous versions with some significant optimizations.  However, with those optimizations have come some problems.  The RTW (release to web) IE9 has definite JavaScript issues and some sites that work with every other browser cause IE9 to either become unresponsive or improperly display JavaScript generated text and graphics.

I mention this because I have done extensive testing of IE9 and FireFox 4 on various sites and have found FF4 to be more stable on "IE9 problem" sites.  I am not promoting either IE9 or FF4, just stating what my tests and the tests of others have found.

IE9 -sometimes- will perform better on "problem sites" in "compatibility mode" but this does not always help.  I just went to aprs.fi and it displayed the map just fine (one tile was "we do not have graphics for this area" but I have also seen that with other browsers).

Don't be too quick in accusing "bad javascript" with a browser that has known and documented JavaScript issues (see Microsoft's Internet Explorer forums).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net