[aprssig] packet delays through internet

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Mon Mar 21 01:19:36 EDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> On 3/20/2011 1:07 PM, Russ Chadwick wrote:
>>
>> Significant packet delays were noted through an I-gate that consisted of a
>> D710, UI-View and Comcast ISP.  We (Mark, KC0D; Nick, N0LP; and I) did
>> tests yesterday and found the problem to be that UI-View was using Xon/Xoff
>> flow control while the D710 was not using flow control.  Delays of a few
>> minutes to 90 minutes were noted with this set-up.
>
> Arrrgh!!!     Xon/Xoff is asking for trouble, especially on radio data links,
> since any value from Hex 00 to Hex FF is possible in an incoming byte,
> especially if it is corrupted in any way.    Xon/Xoff flow control consists
> of binary characters transmitted over the same TXD/RXD conductors as the
> incoming and outgoing data.

Jumping back to the KPC-3+ ...

Could someone confirm that this cannot affect the KPC-3+ problems? Could
it go to Xoff mode (not transmitting to the host) for a while, and when
the buffer finally fills up, start transmitting again from the other end
of the buffer?

Or does the KPC-3+ delay grow gradually over time? Alan?

   - Hessu