[aprssig] KPC3+ induced errors

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Wed Mar 16 15:21:32 EDT 2011

Thanks for looking at the data Keith.

Let me explain that the data I sent in my last post was from early in the
first flight, KC0YA-11, before the second payload, AE0SS-11, was fired up.
So as not to have the two payloads as a possible cause for the delay.

We see the delay right after launch of the first balloon.  I think the
KPC3+'s in both payloads have EOSS as their UIDigi or MyNode I believe.  I
don't maintain the payloads, so I'm guessing a bit.  I do have the KC0YA-11
payload here and I'll dig into it and pull the configuration to see.  I
don't believe the payload KPC3+'s are the problem as all other Igates pass
the balloon packets just find.

To answer your questions, "Looking below, where was the EOSS digi located?
Was it on the ground
or in the air?"

The EOSS digi was in the air for both KC0YA-11 and AE0SS-11.  We do that so
that when we fly two balloons the second balloon payload will act as a digi
to transmit the "payload-on-the-ground's" position.

You wrote, " I don't see an asterisk by the EOSS digi, so I'm
assuming that all three above were heard direct."

That is correct.

You wrote, " I searched all of the beacons that you posted. There weren't
any duplicates, but going by the
time stamps, some were out of order."

My bad.  The snapshot I sent didn't cover enough time to be able to see that
the late KC0D-3 packets were indeed dups of earlier packets.

You wrote, "Do you know if the EOSS digi was used for any of the
beacons? Just going by the data that you posted, it was not..."

No. the EOSS digi was in the air and it was only digi'ing the other balloon
and the T&R team members of the ground.

You wrote, "Does anyone know of any software that can receive data on a
serial port and spit
it out on a different virtual port?"

A simple RS-232 "Y" cable should do it.  Come from the serial port on the
D710 to the "Y" cable to two different computers, one running UI-View and
the other a simple comm. Program.  Open Terminal on UI-View and both
terminal screens should see the same thing.  What we really need to do, or
Mark should do, is put an Ethernet protocol analyzer on the UI-View machine
and watch to see when a packet come into the radio and on through to UI-View
and then passed out the Ethernet port.  If all that works in a timely
fashion, then there is a possibility, however remote, that the packets are
being heldup in the carrier's network.

Thanks again Keith for working on this with us.

Larry K0ANI