[aprssig] Windows 7

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 18:03:57 EDT 2011

Hi Stephen.

I've got no argument about removing Outlook, but removing IE seriously
hampers Auto Updates, and a whole host of other often needed Windows
maintenance tools.  It's jut too tightly integrated with the system, that
can become unstable if you remove or uninstall it (if it'll even let
you.)

Personaly, for genral purpose use, I install Firefox (+ NoScript,
AddBlockPlus, TreeStyleTabs etc) and make that the default browser.   IE
only ever then gets invoked during windows maintenance (when the window
cleaners are in) or when manual system updates are done.

OK, you can get ActivX to run with FireFox, but the whole point of using
FF instead of IE, is to get away from ActivX (and other woes) in the
first place.

As to removing them to make a PC less hackable.  The worst problems at
present are with third party apps, such as Adobe reader and Flash player,
among others...   (Help, Check for Updates!)

Keep the Firewall up, and with no exceptions.  Unless you *Need* such
things as a VNC server so you can get in remotely, or to allow another
system to use UiView's or HRD's server facilities for example.   But,
who's to say they are not vulnerable?  Has anyone ever stress tested
their listening ports?

LitePC is interesting, but wholsale removal of parts of the system etc,
do make for a lack of flexibility, often needed in a Ham shack, where
things (here at least) tend to be re-purposed at the drop of a hat from
time to time, unless you're trying to run XP on a 300MHz P1, with only
128M of Ram, and a 2G hard drive!  You've more or less got a dedicated
embedded system after that degree of surgery!   There again, that can
have it's uses...

73.

Dave G0WBX.