[aprssig] Windows 7

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 10:24:50 EDT 2011

The clue is in the name "UiView32"  :-)

Some info that may be of use to you (and others with Win7 PC's)

At work, we've recently "built" some device remote controlers based on
small "NetBooks" (Compaq Mini's to be precise.)  That run Windows 7 "Home
Starter" edition.

I found during initial experiments, that even old Win3x programs (16 bit)
work well, and are able to use the Virtual COM Ports created by
USB<>RS232 devices (Prolific chipset in this case, and you can also nail
down said com ports, to always appear as the same COMx: each time, in
exactly the same way you can in Win2k onwards.)

It is (even on Home Starter!) posible to run such app's in their own
memory space, in a sort of Virtual Machine.  However, the PC's CPU gets a
real good hammering doing that, that will affect battery run time.

I "tested" this, with some old 16 bit programs I wrote years back for
work, to work as a controlers/indicators for some E-Field probes and
other instruments we support.  They worked very well.

The recent device controler project resulted in a Windows 32 bit program,
that works well, launched at system startup time too.

There is mention in many places, that the Home Starter Edition of Windows
7, can only run up to three applications simultaniously.  Oddly, I did
not find that, having (at one point) 5 apps all running together just
fine.

I expect that UiView32 (and many other old Win16 and not so old Win32
programs) can be made to work well on Win7 (32 bit versions) with a bit
of patience and creative configuration.

I've been told and seen it documented however, that the 64 bit versions
of Win7 do *NOT* have any 16 bit support.

I've not had such a PC to play with yet, but I sort of suspect that even
in the XP Emulator VM they include, getting *Real Time* access to the
outside world, might be an issue for some applications.

Run as a full Adminisrator when installing older programs, and you may
need to set a flag in any shortcut, to "run as administrator" as well.

One caviate, that is quite well known now.   *DO NOT* install older non
Win7 (or Vista) spec'd programs anywhere in the (often default) "Program
File" structure.  The Windows UAC protects that from apps that write to
that area, so any program that use .ini files for example, that exist (as
they commonly do) in the app's own folder with the .exe, will fail to be
altered, so it appears that you can't save changed settings etc.

I forget exactly where, but the settings are saved, but in a "diverted"
place somewhere.

Using a unique folder well away from the "Program Files" structure to
install the program in question, does not have that limitation.   MS
would prefer us to use the Registry for program settings data, but that
in turn is fraught with issues.  One false move and ...................

Of course, if the app's save their settings files in the place specified
by the system variable %APPDATA% you don't get that problem, but then
different users get different settings.  (Can be good, can be
confusing...)

To see where that is on your PC, open a command line window, and enter
the command:-
cd %APPDATA%

That works on Win2k and later just fine.   Many programs will also even
let you use that system variable as part of a path in a setup dialog or
.ini file setting.

Conclusion?  Windows 7 32 bit versions, should be OK for just about all
"Ham" app's that work OK on Vista, and many that work on XP or earlier,
right back to Windows 3x apps too in some cases!

Windows 7 64 bit versions?  Good question, well presented, unknown at
this time.  Sir!

73.

Dave G0WBX.