[aprssig] enjoying my new radio

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Mar 12 15:11:09 EST 2011

On 3/12/2011 12:00 PM, lawrence labranche wrote:
> I don't know about waiting till I've mastered it. I can bring it to one of the
> club meetings. Problem is I'm taking classes at night at College of the
> Redwoods. Looks like most of my packets are going through your gateway. I'm
> unclear on messaging. Do I have to send it to a particular APRS device? How do I
> tell which device to sent it to?

Not a particular device.   Rather to a specific callsign/SSID combo.   Messages
are one of few types of APRS traffic that can not only pass from RF to the
Internet through igates, but also pass back out of igates (Internet-to-RF).
Potentially you can message a station on the other side of the world, IF he is
near an igate.

[Normally a message won't be "reverse-gated" from the Internet to RF unless the
station being addressed has been heard recently (typically within the past
hour) and nearby the igate (typically heard direct or via only 1 digi hop). ]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====