[aprssig] Linking digipeaters

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Mar 8 19:50:21 EST 2011

> idea in 20 years, who are satisfied with the status-quo, and who are
> overcharging by more than $100 for archaic designs.  I'd love to see someone
> flood the market with cheap AtMega or PIC-based KISS-only TNCs with a USB
> connection.

No love for HCS08 or Coldfire, huh?

The OpenTracker USB is our new low-end unit, and it's a whole lot more
than a KISS-only TNC.  It's designed for low cost manufacturing (e.g.,
using a light pipe and SMT LED rather than a through-hole LED that needs
to be cut to length and hand soldered, and with all USB functions
on-chip rather than using a converter) but we won't get the benefit of
that until production gets ramped up - which will hopefully be soon.
Too many projects, not enough cash.

Kantronics really is limited by their old designs.  The Tracker2 has
been out for less than 5 years and already it's needing a major redesign
to keep up with technology and to keep from being dependent on old parts
that get more and more expensive and harder and harder to find.  I hate
to think what they're paying for parts and assembly on those things.

Scott
N1VG