[aprssig] APRS BEACON MTG INFO

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:11:19 EST 2011

Pulling the latest from APRS.fi, here's my current beacon:
;147.15NGA*111111z3414.21N/08409.60Wr147.150MHz T143 - R60m NET2000TU
Cumming,GA

;147.15NGA*111111z3414.21N/08409.60Wr145.150MHZ T143 + R60m NET2000TU
Cumming,GA

Which is nearly identical to yours.  We're actually BOTH wrong:  I have the
incorrect offsest (- instead of +) and you've got 145.150 instead of 147.150,
which is probably just a typo.  I've been running this beacon for about a
week, and it shows up nicely, it just doesn't my the Kenwood's QSY.  I think
Guido's explanation for this makes sense, and I also think it's a flaw on
Kenwood's part.  Also, I changed my MHz to MHZ.

As for the weekly items, etc, see my last Rant about why I won't use
"intelligent" TNCs as digipeaters anymore.  I have a simple web interface on
our digi that allows you to log in and set up beacons, using cron to schedule
them.  Since the digi is only a week old, there's some glitches in it still
(i.e. the Thursday lunch-bunch meeting is getting beaconed right now, for
reasons I don't understand).

The key idea is that, if I were to beacon the meeting, lunch bunch, etc from
my home station, I'm taking two transmission slots:  one to get it up to the
digi, and a second for the digi to broadcast it.  When the digi is the
originator, you get better channel loading.

Thanks for looking at this, though.  It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma and
shrouded in questions.

John Gorkos