[aprssig] APRS BEACON MTG INFO

David Dobbins ddobbins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:41:34 EST 2011

Hi John, info the groups. Coincidentally, I've been playing with these
settings using the BT and LT beacons in my KPC-3+ digipeater, and also from
within UI-View Object Editor.

For reference, see these objects on findu.com:
My D72: http://map.findu.com/k7gps-7
UI-View Object editor: http://map.findu.com/ieclubmtg
UI-View Object editor: http://map.findu.com/karsmtg

Your format:
;147.15NGA*111111z3414.21N/08409.60WrT143 R60m NET2000TU Cumming,GA
as written, this will create the OBJECT 147.15NGA but the data format at the
end should be this in order to include the QSY format:
;147.15NGA*111111z3414.21N/08409.60Wr145.150MHZ T143 + R60m NET2000TU
Cumming,GA
and note the SPACE between MHZ and T143, and again on either side of the "+"
offset indicator

I believe the reason why your radio won't QSY is because it doesn't
recognize 147.15NGA as a valid entry. If you had 147.150 or 147.150+ it
would have included the QSY info on the OBJECT list...... I think.

It's good to make the OBJECT name unique as you have done, so it won't be
duplicated on the APRS-IS.

I prefer to enter short term info, like club meeting or general interest
info, from within UI-View here at the house and just broadcast it out until
the event is completed, then DELETE it. This is easier to do rather than
logging into a remote WIDEn-N KPC-3 to change the LT settings. I reserve
those for the ECHOLINK and IRLP node info per recommendations already
published, as those remain rather constant.

For those with IRLP nodes, I suggest installing the script in your Linux
IRLP box that sends the activity indicator to the APRS-IS (C for Connected,
I for Idle), then go into the UI-View application and modify the FILE, EDIT
INIGATE.INI gate then enter the IRLP-#### in the INET to RF box. This will
transmit the IRLP location and status, C or I, over the air so others who
are not connected to the APRS-IS can see it.

Check findu.com for IECLUBBTG and KARSMTG for two objects I'm announcing as
OBJECTS in UI-View:

For example:
K7GPS-13>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2USANW-B:;IECLUBMTG*022207z4740.44N/11721.40WK146.880MHz
T123 - Mtg Mar10 1830hr @SCC
In UI-View click on the location where you want the OBJECT to appear
In UI-View menu item select ACTION then select OBJECT EDITOR
I entered IECLUBMTG as the IDENTIFIER
I entered 146.880MHz T123 - Mtg Mar10 1830hr @SCC as the COMMENT (note the
spaces between MHz and T123 and on either side of the "-" offset indicator.

People who see this on their map will know be reminded of when and where the
People who receive this on their TM-D710 will receive it as an object, hit
the TUNE button, and the radio B side goes into VFO mode and selects the
frequency, Tone, and Offset needed to communicate.

As for sending status from a Kenwood TH-D72, so others see what freq your B
side of the radio is on at the moment, adjust setting 39 STATUS TEXT to TX
RATE 1/1 and enter some text like >Dave's TH-D72A (you can check this on
findu.com as http://map.findu.com/k7gps-7
Adjust setting 3A to QSY(Freq) QSY in Status Tone/Narrow Shift/Offset and ON
Thus findu.com says K7GPS-7>T7TPPQ,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,K7GPS-13:`-C5l
+[/>";w}444.800MHz T088 +500>Dave's TH-D72A=
will let others know I'm monitoring 444.80+ T88. If they have a D710 they
can autotune me by hitting the TUNE button.

For general info, to send the QSY info in either a TH-D72 or TM-D710 the B
side of the radio must be in MEMORY mode, not VFO mode. If in VFO mode, no
QSY info will be sent.

Hope this helps.

David K7GPS