[aprssig] NMEA logger

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Mar 7 10:40:06 EST 2011

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Andrew Rich wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a need to record NMEA data for an application
>
> What is around that is small ?
>
> Plane use

  There are several flight data recorders designed specifically for
sailplane racing.  Most these days also incorporate extensive navigation
assistance, but this one is simple, self-contained, and reliable:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ew.htm
   ...this is a british unit.

There are also two other simple data recorders, but neither of those has a
built-in battery, and they both require special proprietary software to
retrieve the data logs.

The Cambridge model 20 or 25 is no longer being manufactured, but may be
found on the used market.  I have found it highly reliable.  This one was
manufactuured in the US.  There's also the older model 10, with a built-in
battery, but they're seldom seen any more, and they're as big as a brick!

The VolksLogger is a european design, very compact, and features a
built-in display.  However, the software to download flight logs is very
cumbersome, slow, and unreliable.  It requires 'magic incantations', and a
sequence of three steps which must be done in the right order and within a
short timeframe in order to initiate the download.  Then you wait, as the
data transfer rate is remarkably slow.  I must say, however, that the
Volkslogger is the least expensive logger onthe market, and I have met a
few owners who claim to love them.

Both the cambridge and Volksloggers require a RS232 port for downloading,
and do not behave nicely with USB-RS232 dongles.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009