[aprssig] Field Day 2011 and APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 29 10:00:47 EDT 2011

> I think the problem is there are no points in it.

Yes, I gave up on APRS as 'part' of FD years ago, and completely ignore the
ARRL's attempts to force it into a corner.  But that does not mean I don’t
bring it to FD!

STUMP ON:

APRS is not an end in itself!  It was never intended to be.  It was intended
to be a TOOL in the communicators tool box, as ubiquitous to Ham radio (for
communications and information) as the HT was to the ham for voice contact.

Bringing APRS to Field Day is no different than bringing one's HT, one's
toolbox, and a roll of duct tape and some wire and string.  Its just a tool
to keep one informed of EVERYTHING going on in ham radio in the area (or
nationally), and to contact others... but it is BETTER than voice or CW,
because you know exactly what frequency everyone is on.  It’s a coordination
channel where you KNOW you can contact someone anywhere, anytime.... etc.

> FD rules in the past didn't permit using the
> current infrastructure.  It really sucks to
> the point where I don't bother.

Amen.  What a relief!  No antiquated 1950's ARRL rules and clueless HF
CONTEST organizers to stifle and block real tactical digital communications.
The PLUS side of the ARRL rulings that basically disallowed APRS as part of
the contest is that it now allows us to use APRS AS IT WAS INTENDED, a
real-time tool for informative contact and information distribution instead
of some freak side show.  An always-on backchannel.

I had fun just keyboarding (rag chew style) with other surrounding FD sites
with their APRS operators.  No points, no logs, just play radio!

Bob, WB4APR

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> With 20,000 APRS operators in the USA and 2600 field Day sites, it is
amazing that only 10 people appear to have operated APRS from their FD site
or know how to call CQ.

> The CQSRVR is not something you just log into once (for 12 h ours)...
Doing that is like arriving at FD, picking a random frequency on 10 m and
then making one transmission calling CQ FD and then sitting back for the
next 12 hours to see who calls you.

> Remember, if everyone is listening and no one is transmitting, then the
band is DEAD.

> Stations come and go.  Any new station to come on since you sent CQ will
never have seen your CQ.  They dont know you are there.  You have to send a
CQ FD message every 30 minutes to an  hour for people to see you... AFTER
they happen to log on.

> ANyway, we had a great time.  But I dont understand why only 0.005% of
APRS operators are into Field Day.