[aprssig] Field Day 2011 and APRS

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:08:21 EDT 2011

Bob, I'll drink just about any flavor of Kool-Aid you put in front of me, but
this one tastes bad.

For my group, Field Day is an Emergency Operations preparedness test.
Repeaters don't exist.  The local IGates don't exist.  Echolink doesn't exist.
IRLP doesn't exist.  NOTHING "works" if it relies on any infrastructure other
than the radio in front of me, and the radio in front of the guy I'm talking
to.  APRS-IS, and indeed, the entire INTERNET doesn't exist, because our local
infrastructure is degraded to the point where we can't access it.  In our
scenarios, we're replicating either a cat4+ hurricane that has reduced a large
swatch of Georgia to rubble, or our deployment to a post-earthquake area
(Haiti, SoCal) or post Tsunami area.  There won't be an IGate, because there
won't be an "I" to gate to.
Now, we made a concious decision not to do anything with APRS on HF, because
we weren't able to dedicate a radio/antenna system from our field day site to a
long-term tactical network.  Operating as a 4A station from a county park, we
just didn't have the antenna space to dedicate to a station that wasn't going
to generate very many Qs.

Did I demonstrate APRS to interested passers-by?  Yes.  Did we have a beacon,
an object, and actively use APRS during FD?  Yes.  Did I demonstrate my D72,
my D710, my AVMAP GPS, Xastir, aprs-alert.net, and talk about APRS-IS during
field day?  Yes.  Is it complete,  troll-baiting BS that you posit that only
"0.005% of APRS operators are into Field Day" based on logins to the CQ
server?  Absolutely.  You're the one that says it's a tactical information
system.  Don't get irritable when, in a tactical operations exercise, people
use it that way and not as a global contact system.

John Gorkos
AB0OO