[aprssig] smart IGates

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jun 23 13:16:55 EDT 2011

But with a password of -1, he's not even going to be a receiving IGate.
APRS-IS won't accept ANYTHING from a non-validated connection, even if
they are ostensibly RF-received packets.  The password of -1 doesn't
mark packets as unverified, but causes all traffic on that connection to
not be carried through the APRS-IS, dropped instead at the entry point.
Since the packets never enter APRS-IS, they won't even have a chance at
being transmitted elsewhere.  Such a station isn't an IGate as it gates
nothing in either direction, but is simply an APRS-IS client with local
RF reception also displayed.

A correctly configured IGate will gate APRS messages from -IS to RF if
the destination callsign has been recently heard local to the IGate.
There is no guarantee that the sender of that message, and the author of
that message's content, is or is not an amateur radio operator.  There
are web sites that allow direct APRS-IS entry of messages with arbitrary
source and destination callsigns and user-specified content with no
verification or validation required.  (Contact me offline if you'd like
the link).

CW weather reports are no longer carried on the APRS-IS backbone, but
have been partitioned off into their own network.  Theoretically only
licensed radio amateur weather stations are still carried on APRS-IS.

PS.
http://wxsolution.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=cwop&thread=65&page=1
is a posting describing the reasons for the split of CWOP from the
APRS-IS backbone.  It's a long read, but the best reference to the
reasoning behind this historical event.