[aprssig] smart IGates

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jun 23 07:25:27 EDT 2011

You shouldn't IMHO.  Even though the APRS-IS isn't regulated by the FCC, 
those of us that run properly configured IGates (read: bi-directional) 
are trusting that ALL sources into the APRS-IS is coming from licensed 
amateurs.  Without that assurance, more IGates will be de-commissioned 
and/or transmitters disabled seriously crippling the global messaging 
feature of APRS-IS.

A technician's license isn't that hard to qualify for, and with it comes 
the identifiable responsibility that the APRS feeds need to have.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 6/22/2011 2:53 AM, Andrew Elwell wrote:
> on a related Q -- if I want to put an RF->IS (only) igate as a fill
> in, but don't have a ham licence, how should I name the igate? (since
> AFAICT they need a callsign)
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig

More information about the aprssig mailing list