[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Ian Wade G3NRW g3nrw-radio at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 21 18:09:27 EDT 2011

From: Guido Trentalancia <iz6rdb at trentalancia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011   Time: 22:40:17

>So, at this point my question is why did APRS forbid to use that
>bit-pattern (you like it that way, I call it that way) if the bottom
>layer could accommodate in some way through a trick (called
>bit-stuffing) ?
>
>First hypothesis: APRS names that "TNC Stream Switch".

Guido

This hypothesis is correct.

>From this I might suspect that the same bit-pattern is also used
>elsewhere (that is not as clever) than in AX.25 start/end flag.

Even though the bit patterns look the same, don't confuse the tilde
character with the AX.25 start/end flag. Because of bit stuffing, the
tilde is always converted to something else *before transmission* (so
that it can never look like a flag in the transmitted signal), then *on
reception* the bit stuffing is reversed, so you get the original tilde
back again.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW