[aprssig] Error checking within APRS packets

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Tue Jun 21 16:40:17 EDT 2011

On 21/06/2011 21:11, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> I think you all need to read carefully and completely the AX.25
> specification paying particular attention to the framing characters
> and their relationship to bit stuffing.  I suspect you'll find that a
> tilde in the middle of an AX.25 packet actually does NOT look like a
> framing character because the framing character really isn't a
> "character" per se, but is actually a bit pattern.  And with bit
> stuffing, there are defined bit sequences that are NOT allowed to
> appear in the bit stream representation of a packet, but characters
> that may cause confusion within a packet have extra bits stuffed (and
> removed) on the air, but you'll never see such things in any byte-wise
> representation of the packet.

Done. Yes, I agree it's important to read that
(http://www.tapr.org/pub_ax25.html#2.2.6). But it's not vital if someone
is just interested in APRS.

Because it doesn't change much for APRS as the protocol itself forbids
using 01111110, 0x7e, tilde or whatever you like to call it.

So, at this point my question is why did APRS forbid to use that
bit-pattern (you like it that way, I call it that way) if the bottom
layer could accommodate in some way through a trick (called bit-stuffing) ?

First hypothesis: APRS names that "TNC Stream Switch". From this I might
suspect that the same bit-pattern is also used elsewhere (that is not as
clever) than in AX.25 start/end flag. And vaguely I remember something
about TNCs... but my memory is not helping me any further now.

What do you say ?

Guido, IZ6RDB