[aprssig] new IGate software

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 08:57:23 EDT 2011

Well, from personal experience, trying to use my D7 with UiView in the
past.  Often the system wold just go dormant.  Investigating revealed
that the D7's TNC had gone in to "sulk mode", and wouldn't respond to
anything on the serial port, or over RF.

Cycling the radio power, fixed it each and every time.

Thinking that maybe it was the PC, one time after pulling the serial
cable, & resetting the radio, I used another PC to re-configure
(initialise) the TNC to UiView's needs, then moved it back to the first
PC, where it all came back to life again.

Many people world wide have seen this with both the D7 and D700 at times.
The cause is suspected to be due to a lack of working RAM in the TNC, and
perhaps something trips over something else, or a circular buffer eats
it's own tail, resulting in "non communication" effects.

As before, on a quiet channel, they can run for many days, or more.  But
on a moderatly busy channel, only hours, if your lucky...

I've not had a D710 to play with, so don't know about that, or the Yaesu
VX8, but I think that uses a different chipset anyway.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.