[aprssig] new IGate software

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 10:15:24 EDT 2011

On 13 Jun 2011 at 23:21, Lee Bengston wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Tapio Aaltonen
> <oh2gve at pakettiradio.net> wrote: > Hello > > A new IGate software
> called aprsg has been released. It runs on Windows and > Unix-line
> platforms and supports KISS TNCs using serial ports. On Linux the >
> AX.25 network interfaces can also be used. > > Aprsg is able to do
> RX-only or complete RX/TX-gating. It runs as a small > background
> process without any user interface, as it has been designed to be >
> part of infrastructure, not a tactical console. > > More information
> and free download from the home page: > http://pakettiradio.net/aprsg/
>
> Fyi, after a year I decided to give this a try.  It works fine in
> Debian Squeeze (installed with the posted deb packages).  I've got it
> talking to a TH-D7A(G) in kiss mode, and it's connected to a Keyspan
> USB to serial adapter hanging off a little Acer "Revo" 1600 NetTop
> computer - basically a very small desktop computer that uses a netbook
> motherboard and an Intel Atom CPU.  I like the logging - very valuable
> when first getting the software up and running.  Nice work - something
> small running in the background is exactly what I wanted.  Also,
> thanks to the people on this and the Xastir list that have pointed out
> that Keyspan usb to serial adapters are Linux friendly.
>
> Lee - K5DAT

Beware the infamous D7 data buffer problems.  If you get seemingly weired
lockups where the TNC in the radio just stops responding, or stops
decodning packets, you need to power cycle the radio.  It's much worse on
a busy chanel, if the RF chanel is quiet, they can run for days.  If
busy, it's an achievement if they last an hour.

OK for testing your software, but not good enough to be put "into
service" as it were

Also re the USB<>Serial adapters.  It's not the adapters that are "Linux
Friendly", just that someone before you has done the work and the system
recognises them for what they are, so uses known good drivers, or has
support built into the kernel somewhere.

What's worth knowing, is what chipset they use.  FTDI, Prolific, SiLabs
etc...?

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.