[aprssig] Android HUD Development

Rud Merriam mocoares.ec at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:31:38 EDT 2011

I am thinking of working on an Android based APRS HUD. Originally it
will be for phones but later be put on tablets. I know there are a
couple of other Android APRS's. I think a focus on messaging HUD is a
different approach. I haven't myself seen any HUDs or displays on APRS
capable radios so am asking for advice and suggestions. My approach is
to keep it simple and functional.

I have looked at Bob's web page about messaging and HUD.

My first thoughts are not to do a moving map display, at least not on
the cell phone version, since that is readily available with Google Maps
and GPS navigators. The question is whether having a map with nearby
APRS units is sufficiently important to include a map capability on a
tablet version.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

--

- 73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD